Christine Thompson Waterways Activity Group
Chris Thompson always tried to encourage newcomers to get involved and enjoy the waterways to the full and had a particular love of the Trent and Mersey Canal.
She was a wonderfully energetic and charismatic individual who had time for everyone. This group aims are to continue to encourage and inspire people, particularly young people to take an active interest in safe boating and local inland waterways.
This group is being created for two reasons - to remember the outstanding contribution and voluntary work undertaken by the late Chris Thompson and to allow young people and others to access the waterways when they may otherwise be unable to do so for various issues.
During the year a number of key activities will be performed to support the overall aims and vision of the Trent and Mersey Canal Society:
- Promoting, developing and fostering interests and skills associated with safe boating, appreciation of canal heritage and safeguarding and protecting the modern-day canal environment.
- Supporting the aims and vision of the Trent and Mersey Canal Society in maintaining the famous and unique T&M mileposts between Barnton and Middlewich.
- To support the Trent and Mersey Canal Society Big Lock weekends assisting boaters transiting the double lock and where required helping with other tasks as directed by officials, at the event.
- Supporting Canal clean-up projects such as Canal Tidy week.
- Helping to keep the Trent and Mersey Canal remain litter free and an attractive area.
- Promoting a friendly positive attitude to all waterways users.
What will participants get from Programme:
- All participants will receive a free place on the RYA Inland Waterways Helmsman Course.
- In-depth health and safety training.
- Hands on experience in working as part of a team in a number of areas of maintenance.
- Access to the BYMCA narrow-boat Potential for training work and work based activities.
- All participants will be eligible to enter the Annual Chris Thompson Award – a trophy (which you keep for a year) and £250 cash prize in recognition of their contribution to their own personal learning and supporting voluntary work of the Trent and Mersey Canal Society (participants will be shortlisted by the Main Committee).
For further details please contact Nigel Hughes